Sunday 1 January 2012

2012!


Welcome all to my first blog post of 2012! I hope you all saw the new year in with style (regardless of whether you remember it or not) and that you’re all now suitably recovered to take on what the next twelve months will bring! I for one watched reruns of ‘Only Fools and Horses’ with Lauz and her dad. We ate spaghetti bolognaise too. It was awesome.

I must admit, last year was pretty good - I graduated, got a job, visited some cool places, took up various new hobbies (including blogging!) and met some great new people – but I want this year to be even better. My goals as they stand for the moment are to travel more, read more, write more and really make it a year to remember, although time will tell how much of that I actually achieve!

In the meantime, I’m keeping nice and busy. The Capri is currently being driven occasionally, although I’m keeping it out of the salt and preparing it for its impending restoration; after a couple of weeks of cutting, welding and spraying it’ll look a lot better I’m sure. In its stead I have decided to join the masses and buy a Mondeo - perhaps the planet’s most boring and uninspiring motor vehicle. It’s quick, it’s warm and it’s comfortable, but it lacks character and just doesn’t conjure up the same joys as cruising around in something with crap suspension, vague steering and near - nonexistent brakes. Nevertheless, it’s proved its worth as a reliable little commuter car, which is all that really matters.

Meanwhile, my work on the Suffolk Regiment is progressing - albeit incredibly slowly. I still need to do some more research at the record office before I can think about so much as even planning it. One day I hope it’ll be finished, although that day is at the end of a very long tunnel. I’ve also been asked recently whether I would consider writing fiction. The short answer is that whenever I consider the idea my mind jumps between different settings, characters and plots before I can get anything down on paper / screen, so for the time being it’s not something I feel capable of doing at all. Still, watch this space as I may post something from time to time which it would be nice to receive feedback about :)

Aside from World War II, you have probably all noticed from your Facebook and Twitter feeds my relentless and unwavering devotion to spamming you with links to my variety of blogs. In fact, you’re probably here due to such a link. If so, thank you for reading this far and rest assured that you will no doubt receive more in the very near future when my newest Netcars and WhatCulture articles are published. Please continue to read and comment on them as it’s informative to know what everyone thinks of my rambling whether the comments are good or bad.

So, now you know what I'm up to, how should I finish this poignant first post of 2012? Well, I want to wish you all a Happy New Year and say that I hope that you all achieve everything you aim for and have a fantastic time along the way! As the great philosopher Del Boy Trotter once said, “Never lose sight of your dreams’... or something like that.

Have a good one everybody :)

No comments:

Post a Comment